Sunday, March 1, 2009

The Life and (Shocking) Death of Jeremy Bentham

Mea Culpa, LOST friends. I wrote a whole lot about last week's AMAZING episode, and then blogger went and ate it. I don't know why these things happen- I know that Mommy, Esq. is having her own blogger woes....I've reconstructed what I could for your reading enjoyment.

Wow! I mean this show just keeps getting better, and better! This episode finally gave us the story of how Locke ended up dead, and boy was it a shocker. We begin with Locke appearing, injured of course, in Tunisia (where we also saw Ben appear and the skeleton of that polar bear that Charlotte was digging for). He is swooped up to (where I read somewhere else) a Bedouin Urgent Care center, funded of course by Charles Widmore.

Now, Charles Widmore tells John they have met before, fifty years earlier. (I find this interesting because this seems against what we've seen earlier, like with Rousseau. Widmore remembers meeting Locke) Widmore says the island is important to him, blah, blah, and that he used to be the island leader till Ben tricked him to leave. My question: where does this leave Penny? Like Mon mentioned, could she have been born on the island? If Des brings her and mini-Charlie there, will she get nosebleeds and die?

Widmore sends Locke off with all that he needs to find the Oceanic 6 and bring them back. This includes a new identity. Apparently Jeremy Bentham was a British Philosopher who was diametrically apposed to all the thoughts of his fellow philosopher, John Locke. Helping Locke will be Matthew Abbadon- someone who gets people where they need to go. According to Wikipedia, Abbadon is sometimes a reference to the angel of death. (I found him quite scary last season, not as much in this episode and his death scene was pretty gruesome. I also like him on "Fringe", so maybe that has something to do with it.)

None of the Oceanic Six is thrilled to see Locke, and are definitely not interested in going back.

Sayid would like him to hangout and build houses for Habitat for Humanity.I was happy to see his stopover with Walt- I was quite confused as to why he didn't have to go back too? I like that Locke chose to let him be. And that Abbadon said, " the boy got big".
The person most unhappy to see Locke- Kate. She was not too nice to him, making a point to say to him, "that he wants to go back because he has nothing else and noone else to keep him here." Ouch. So that brings me to the cemetery...
Is Helen really dead? Was that a setup from Widmore? or Ben? or someone else

I'm sure that you were all thinking the same thing; who's the bad guy here? The lines are so blurred...is it Ben as Widmore insists, or is it Widmore as Ben insists?

And then we saw the ending. So.....what is Ben's m.o. He killed him once Locke gave over the info about Mrs. Hawking, or he was helping Locke because the island wouldn't take him back if he had committed suicide?

More to come in a separate post about tonight..
PS- If you are not watching "Lost Untangled" on abc.go.com or youtube, YOU MUST! They are friggin' hysterical!

1 comment:

Stacey said...

I am also puzzled by Ben's motivation in killing Locke. He seems to genuinely not want Locke to commit suicide or had any inclination of killing him until Locke mentioned Mrs. Hawking.

I thought the "Locke is all alone" dialog was a bit heavy handed. Did we need to see that from all the Lostaways? Interesting, Jack is also the only other one truly alone (Hurley has his family and his ghosts, Kate has Aaron, Sun her baby and Sayid his dead wife). Is this supposed to be a reference to "we are all alone when we die" philosophy? I'm trying to tie in some biblical, Christ-like imagery but I'm struggling. Locke obviously rose from the dead but he's done that on the island before (when Ben shot him - how many times does Ben have to kill him before Locke learns not to trust him?). But I am trying to lock down the timing. Could it be Locke was 3 days dead before rising? I'm a bit confused about the timeline but they did have about 3 days to make it back to the island...

This show is so freaking awesome. I'm annoyed that Jeremy makes fun of me. He would love it if he watched it (well aside from a couple of boring seasons). This is the best season so far. How will they top it?!?!