Saturday, May 29, 2010

The End: Part Two

Ok. I've slept a chunk of today and am pretty high on cold medicine; seems like the perfect time to reflect on what happened to our "Losties".


I might just start right at the end.


They weren't all dead, at least not at the same time.

This seems to be controversial, but the more I've read and discussed the more firmly I believe this.


Jack died at the end of this episode. In order for him to "crossover" he needed to be in a safe place with all the people who mattered to him in that moment. They needed to look like how he remembered them, etc. This is why Aaron is a baby and Shannon was there with Sayid. (If we had seen this church scene from one of their points of view things/people may have looked different.)


Christian very clearly said to him, "some of these people have died before you, and some long after you...there is no now here. This is a place you made together, to find each other- the most important times of your lives were spent together." They were all there to crossover together, but they did not all die at the same time.


What I liked was Jack's kind of refusal to "remember" island life- he was the last to come to acceptance that his Flash Sideways wasn't real. He wasn't ready to accept that- he had in the Flash Sideways the relationship with his son, that he never had with his own father. He couldn't give that up. He wasn't ready till he saw and touched his father's coffin. Then it all came flooding back. (And wow, watching it again with the soft white light around his island memories I got emotional, again....or maybe it was just my allergies:)


The Island and everything that happened there was most definitely real. We might not have explanations for everything (Dharma, Others, Jacob, etc) that we wanted, but it was real- and it wasn't purgatory.


Jack did become Jacob- He did protect the island, and he did defeat Smokey (quite easily in fact.) You could almost predict in that scene back at the stream when Hurley said, "I'm just glad it wasn't me"...that somehow it would end up being him and it did.


Hurley is Neville. Obviously this made me very happy- I knew it would come back to Hurley, and I love that he asked Ben to stay on as his "number 2". I also like knowing that they could "change the rules" and leave the island. They didn't necessarily have to run the island like Jacob did.

Ajira Airways ready for take-off
To all of you who wrote to me on Facebook a couple weeks ago, nope- Lapidus wasn't dead. We still needed him to pilot that plane. And he did. With a few tweaks, and blow torches (where did he get that) they were off. He, and Richard, and Miles. The new three stooges. They picked up Kate and Sawyer, and we can only assume made it home. It was the last thing that Jack saw as he lay dying in the bamboo field (with Vincent- how cute was that). The same bamboo field where we saw him in the pilot.

Richard was able to escape- and maybe have an end to his infinite life! How much did you love Richard having a gray hair. I've never seen someone some happy to find out they had a grey hair!

If you don't believe me, read the words of my friend "Watch With Kristin". (Not to be confused with my other friend Kristin who just became a mom again- welcome Josephine!)
I have been devoted to her reporting for many years now, and she's a lot easier to understand than Doc Jensen at EW. She wrote a great "Idiot's Guide to Lost".

So please comment- and we can share in our grief together.

The words of Damon Lindeloff that I stole for Facebook this week-

"Remember. Let go. Move on. I will miss it more than I can ever say."

No comments: