Sunday, May 2, 2010

One that dots the "I"s and crosses the "T"s

There was some breaking news last week- and more than one of you have mentioned it to me in person or forwarded me links to the interview. Our friends "Darlton" (the much referenced in this blog producers, Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse) have come forth to say that the finale may not be all that people have hoped and that all of our questions will not be answered.




Isn't "Darlton" cute!



Now to be honest- I'm not that surprised. In fact, I think I've come to terms with it. This show that I have loved, and been obsessed with since September 22, 2004, will not end neatly tied with a bow.


Let's be honest people, it's not that kind of show. Monica for one has been saying for a long time that there was no way they would be able to answer all these questions and that they were getting further and further away from where they started, and that maybe there wasn't a total plan. Maybe they were kind of making this up as they went along.


That leads me to this- what questions that we've been waiting for have they answered?


Questions answered- the numbers did matter. Isn't it amazing to think how these writers manipulated our thoughts about these numbers and the hatch? At the start of season 2 when we first came to know the hatch, and the numbers going into the Apple II E computer, and Des (yea, Josie!), and most interesting to me-this electromagnetic thing was a real problem! I guess we suffered through a roller coaster of emotion with Locke, numbers matter and then numbers don't matter. Screw 'em- don't enter them in the computer, it doesn't matter. And then Des realized, oh wait my not entering the numbers caused the crash of 815. We got to see "the incident" as refered to in the Dharma films, as it really happened in the past.

All these people who have come to island were important for a reason- to be candidates. All that stuff we were feeling the first couple seasons, with the intersecting back stories, they were all meant to end up on that island. What's left to find out? Who will be the new Jacob?

Questions they aren't going to answer- I'm fearing the kids with the special powers stuff is going to be left up in the air. Why did the others need Walt or want Aaron? Why did Claire have to raise him? Where did the rest of the original Others, like Ellie and Charles Widmore, come from and how did they end up on the island? I'm thinking there aren't enough episodes left for us to find out.

So the finale may not dot all of our "i"s and cross all of our "t"s.

Bigger question? who's watching the finale with me? :) and who's taking their last personal day the following day?

2 comments:

Ms. Erica said...

Since I like endings to be tied up in a nice,little bow, I am battling myself for feeling betrayed that we will not have all our questions answered.

I remember reading an article last fall that said that all of our questions would NOT be answered a la The Sopranos ending. It still doesn't mean I like it.

I think that Darlton want us to keep talking about the show long after it ends.

Jo Ellen said...

Can you say movie...

a la The X Files...

I am taking my personal day on the 24th, race you to the form!