Sunday, May 16, 2010

Jacob have I loved.....

(Editor's note- don't know how it's already Sunday....I've been trying to avoid reading too many things 'cause I had my own ideas...and we're on the verge of the end here. On that note, I'm publishing what I got, and hope you put up some thoughts before tomorrow night!)


Jacob have I loved, but apparently, not? So the mythology filled episode was.....interesting. Was it completely amazing, not sure. Did we learn some stuff? Yup.

Do we have more questions, yes.

Let's get started:

1. Another shipwreck....so is the electromagnetic energy or the people who cause planes and ships to collide with this island. (At first I thought energy attracted them there, then I thought it was Jacob bringing them there, now back to the energy, or both....) Enter- Claudia....gasping for breath amongst wreckage of some kind. She's wearing a very Greek inspired outfit, but strangely in red. Oh and very pregnant! She's in trouble, and while looking for water in the jungle runs into....CJ Craig! Now, I knew she was going to be in this episode and yet I almost didn't recognize her. She's speaking to Claudia in Latin, but Claudia spoke back to her in Spanish, until they transitioned to English because Darlton has used up their subtitle budget in the six seasons. (You will remember that Juliet told us that it was the language of the Others.)

Mother Other seemed to be expecting a pregnant woman-almost like a prophecy. This baby would perhaps succeed her in this role. She seemed so happy to welcome "Jacob", as Claudia said his name would be. (Didn't Claire do the same thing with "Aaron"? Oh wait, didn't Kate help deliver Aaron then steal him and raise him as her own? Jacob and MIB were also "raised by another".) Was there a prophecy of twins? (You will recall that I predicted them to be twins here.) Women don't survive giving birth on the island....is this where this begins, like some kind of curse?

2. We see a little of Yin and Yang growing up. (A little bit of black and a little bit of white in everything) Yang is the toe haired angelic one. He always follows the rules, he "doesn't know how to lie". One would think he would be the good one, the preferred one. But, Mother Other shows strange love towards Yang. He's the physically darker one, the one who definitely resembles his Mediterranean birthmother. He seems to be sneakier, more adventurous. He fears Mother Other- but she says that Jacob is not as special as he is. (Other brother also saw and spoke with dead mother----like Hurley---what does that mean?)

What gives?

3. Who's good and bad? Jacob seems kind of aggressive. He pummelled his brother a bunch of times. All MIB wanted was to find out where they came from- be with the regular people- go "Across the Sea" to home.

So now I'm confused.....are we really supposed to believe after all of this that MIB isn't bad- or wasn't originally bad? Is he Snape, if you are a Harry Potter fan?


So, being a candidate isn't a good thing?

One thing that bugged me after this episode was the timeline- especially reflecting back on the season premiere (?) when we saw the two guys sitting on the beach, in the shadow of the statue, and watching presumably the Black Rock off in the distance. When did this happen? I assume after we saw Jacob kill his brother and send him into the tunnel of light? And after we got our confirmation that Mother Other and MIB's bodies were the ones to become Adam and Eve in the cave, I was left wondering about how MIB goes around pretending to be certain bodies. Does he just get to appear as the last body he was in? He was trumping around the island with hi back pack and Richard over his shoulder, while the body of the real Locke was being discovered in the coffin on the other side of the island.

So who knows......tomorrow night, then gulp, Sunday...and that's all they wrote!

Check out what the Globe had to say yesterday.

3 comments:

Jo Ellen said...

As a former "tow-head" I am offended by the term "toe-head" as if a giant big toe is a feature of mine.

but I love you. :)

too tired to respond right now... but I will!

Stacey said...

Like many other viewers I was disappointed in the "light" crap that defined the specialness of the island. I would actually have preferred that it not be explained. Yes, really. I also noticed that Jacob was the physically aggressive twin. And that MIB was never actually named....kind of cool in a way. I'm not sure I get how MIB can physcially interact while in the guise of a dead person (not a physical body). I can buy the smoke monster, though. Yes, I'm picky.

I'm also not sure we really needed this whole hour to be spent on this story line. I don't think it really revealed anything about either Jacob or his brother that we didn't know already. Although I heart CJ and love that the mom was named Claudia which was CJ's name in the West Wing.

I'm still not sure that we'll get an explanation about conceiving and delivering the babies on the Island. But it's an interesting point about the "first" mother on the island being killed after delivering. And I did like the parallel with Claire/Kate.

We're almost done!!!

Mommy, Esq. said...

I was going to be annoyed if the last thing we learned was Smokey's name but it was even more annoying that we didn't get a name at all. I agree with you about Jacob's unexpected aggression. Also, who decides how old they get before they stop aging? Seemed like Jacob was younger than his Brother Smokey.